Jazz music, news and views

Friday, June 20, 2008

Return to Blogging, Talkin' Jazz, Up the Downstair, etc.


Man, another two months and no blogging. My apologies to the small handful of probably-now-infrequent SWO readers. A new day job and moving into a new apartment in, essentially, a new city (though still LA) have waylaid what I had intended to be my blogging schedule. I know, of course, you have plenty of other places to hear great tunes and read interesting opinions. Since you're reading this, thanks for always coming back to check!

A couple items of note:

At long last, "Talkin' Jazz with Scott Willis" has its own website. Of course, we still have the MySpace page, but I like how simple and spiffy our new site looks. Not everything is up-to-date yet, but we'll be cleaning it up soon. Thanks much to Rory Ray, our web designer.

Also, I know many SWO visitors click-thru to Up the Downstair -- a wise detour, no matter what your musical tastes are. Skip, UtD's impressario, asked me to write a post on Miles Davis, specifically his early years, to accompany a rare 1949 broadcast he has posted. This is an interesting listen because it captures him at a key moment in his career. It was only five days before the first Birth of the Cool recording session, but Miles was still playing bebop (and still playing with Bird here and there). Between these two opportunities, he was beginning to find his own voice. Thanks very much to Skip for giving me the chance to talk about the music.

3 Comments:

  • At 6/22/2008 11:36 AM, Blogger etnobofin said…

    Welcome back!

     
  • At 7/13/2008 3:05 PM, Blogger Westside Safari said…

    Kellen,

    Always love reading your blog and Talkin Jazz.

    I have been looking into the life of Horace Silver lately. Someone whose music I'm sorta rediscovering lately. I went to Wikipedia and the usual places to read about his life but nothing that compares to your writing. Can I ask have you written anything on Horace in the past? Can you recommend anywhere to go?

    Thanks,
    Geoff

     
  • At 7/22/2008 8:20 PM, Blogger Kellen said…

    Hi, Geoff,

    I actually haven't written anything about Horace, but I know his autobiography came out a couple years ago.

    I wish I could find an in-depth, scholarly piece on him, but instead I found a few other random links that might be interesting:

    Here's an interview he did with Les Tompkins (around 1975, it seems).

    If you like Blindfold Tests, this is also with Tompkins around 1966.

    And for reference, the Jazz Discography Project has an extensive Silver section.

    If you find any good writings on him, let me know!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker