Jazz music, news and views

Sunday, December 31, 2006

More Blogs


It's been a while since I've updated -- or mentioned the recent additions to -- that sidebar on the right. Be sure you visit them in the upcoming year (though you may already be a frequent flyer...):

ear fuzz: They're a staple in the mp3 blogosphere, and I'm more than tardy in linking to them. They have a staff of about a dozen, and their sounds are just as varied (searchable category tags include drum and bass, funk, hip-hop, jazz, soul, world and psychedelica).

Eclectic Grooves: As their sign reads: "Funky, booty-shaking soul and rap. Ear-shattering free jazz noise skronk. Angular, complex math rock. Bottleneck slide guitar blues with a side of sizzling afro-beat. Everything but the kitchen sink." Admit it: you're intrigued. Kevin’s also a contributor to the aforementioned ear fuzz site.

Jazz Boston: This site features the Boston scene and then some. There's a calendar of events, an artist and venue directory, links to Boston-area jazz radio, plus some streaming tunes (Charlie Kohlhase, John Tchicai and Garrison Fewell, Donal Fox, Danilo Perez and Joe Lovano are in current rotation).

The Jazz Clinic: Dr. Jazz, Ph.D (a.k.a. Matt) blogs out of Philly, P-A with notable nods to the N.Y. scene. Being the viral marketer and new media publicist that he is, he makes sure I know what's fresh.

Orgy in Rhythm: Some great downloads here, many of rare and out-of-print vinyl. Recent posts include Bennie Maupin, Larry Young, Tito Puente and Harold Land.

Radio Free Silver Lake: Joe Fielder points the way to indie favorites in the L.A. scene and beyond. Dig the interviews and events calendar, and check out his weekly L.A. music recommendations at FreshRed.

Up the Downstair: Get podcasts galore from Madison, WI with plenty of live performances (with setlists). Recently featured: Anoushka Shankar, Madeleine Peyroux and Wilco. Also check out the 1969 Paris performance of Miles Davis's "Lost Quintet."

2 Comments:

  • At 1/04/2007 9:41 AM, Blogger Kevin said…

    Hi Kellen!

    Much thanks for adding me to your links and featuring me in a post on your blog. The more people that link to me the better. The main reason I do what I'm doing is because I love music and want to share the stuff I listen to with other people. I just added you to my links and will give you a shout out on my blog soon. If you think of any other ways that I can get more people to visit Eclectic Grooves, please let me know.

    Thanks, Kevin

     
  • At 1/04/2007 11:43 AM, Blogger Palmer said…

    I'll second Kevin and thank you for the link. I have linked back to you at Up the Downstair. Leave a request next time you stop by. I have a lot of learning to do when it comes to jazz. I think the next jazz show will be some Art Tatum from 1938-39.

    Take care,
    Skip

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker